So -- what did happen to Panix?

Matt Buford matt at overloaded.net
Thu Jan 26 18:14:32 UTC 2006

"Daniel Golding" <dgolding at burtongroup.com> wrote:
> ConEd Communications was recently acquired by RCN. I'm not sure if the
> transaction has formally closed. I suspect there are serious transition
> issues occurring. "Financial Stability", "Employee Churn", and "Ownership"
> are, unfortunately, tough things to factor into BGP algorithms.

I have no idea if this is really related, but the issue was the same weekend
that ConEd had major network maintenance going on.  My ConEd service was
down (NYC area) for the entire weekend (about 60 hours) during their planned
maintenance window to convert their network to MPLS.  I saw their
maintenance notice and noticed that the window lasted multiple days.  I
expected the link to go down - but I never imagined they meant it would stay
down for the entire maintenance window.

So, I'm speculating that even if there weren't organization issues their
engineers were probably very busy and distracted by the major technical
changes going on.