So -- what did happen to Panix?

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Thu Jan 26 05:54:30 UTC 2006

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006, william(at)elan.net wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Jan 2006, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
>> It's now been 2.5 business days since Panix was taken out.  Do we know
>> what the root cause was?  It's hard to engineer a solution until we
>> know what the problem was.
>
> Is it really that hard to engineer this solution? We do have several of them
> proposed (SBGP, soBGP, etc) and new WG is likely to be formed soon
> within IETF to finally work it out.

It'd be darn difficult to engineer a solution that would end up being
deployed in any reasonable time if we don't know the requirements
first.  Yes, there's a draft -- draft-ietf-rpsec-bgpsecrec-03.txt --
but it has been woefully lacking on the operator & deployment
requirements.  More people should participate in the effort.