Password Security and Distribution

Matt Ghali matt at snark.net
Wed Jan 25 01:08:19 UTC 2006

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006, (nanog) Brian Battle wrote:

> I wish there was a system that let you do the following:
>
> * Store and encrypt logins/passwords and access logs in a database
> * Assign permissions (add new logins/passwords, change password...)
>  to those passwords on a per user/group basis, based on an existing
>  authentication scheme (Windows AD, LDAP, Kerberos...)
> * SSL web frontend
> * Reporting.  If a user leaves and you want to know which passwords
>  he had access to or has ever accessed so you can change them, this
>  would be really really nice.

BBN Planet had a nice application that did all of this. It was super
nice. The only time you were in trouble was when you needed the
password for the box that ran the application. (don't laugh! it
happened to me once- but for some reason, i was precient enough to
have it on a little piece of paper in my wallet)

matto

               The only thing necessary for the triumph
               of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke