preventing future situations like panix

Josh Karlin karlinjf at cs.unm.edu
Mon Jan 23 23:42:01 UTC 2006

> To what extent does the route object validation in the RIPE database
> (for routes covering RIPE-allocated space), together with maintainer
> object authentication, provide a "perfect IRR", according to your
> research?
>
> (I realise the step from "useful, authenticated source of data" to
> "universally-deployed import filters" is non-trivial.)

My understanding is that RIPE, while quite good, still contains a
significant amount of old data that needs to be regularly flushed.  It
certainly seems reasonable to use its information as a good first
approximation of the validity of a route, and I think that would go
quite well with our recommendation, reducing the number of routes
flagged as suspicious.