is this like a peering war somehow?

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Sun Jan 22 19:56:16 UTC 2006

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006, Petri Helenius wrote:

> And the real question is if the money is better spent on implementing
> preferential treatment or upgrading the infrastructure as a whole.

If you have an 8meg ADSL line and want to deliver IPTV you need some kind
of preferential treatment to the TV packets on this access line to ensure
quality, for instance in the case of the user doing a file transfer at
the same time they're watching TV.

Should anyone be able to request this preferential treatment, perhaps even
without a contract? Should we trust TOS values across the net? If not, who
should we trust?

The argument that QoS in the core is a moot point or not can be left
behind, if you're talking access, then some kind of intelligent queueing
is needed to ensure low packetloss for realtime services. Giving each
customer a 100M pipe might sound good but it's not really economically
feasable in the short term.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se