is this like a peering war somehow?

Edward B. DREGER eddy+public+spam at noc.everquick.net
Fri Jan 20 20:45:18 UTC 2006

DG> Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 00:49:12 -0500
DG> From: Daniel Golding

DG> The RBOCs need to get over this - they are floundering around to try and
DG> find a way to recoup network costs. This is one front. IMS is another. I

It's not just RBOCs.  Approximately five years back I approached a
cableco about peering.  They wanted to charge more for peering than what
they did for transit.  Justification?  "It's priority access to our
customers."

Note that it was NOT due to transit costs.  They still wanted the higher
fee if one ran a private line directly to their POP.

This was for a mostly-content network.  So much for content/eyeball
synergy.

Eddy
--
Everquick Internet - http://www.everquick.net/
A division of Brotsman & Dreger, Inc. - http://www.brotsman.com/
davidc at brics.com -*- jfconmaapaq at intc.net -*- sam at everquick.net
Ditto for broken OOO autoresponders and foolish AV software backscatter.