is this like a peering war somehow?

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Fri Jan 20 14:29:53 UTC 2006

<Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com> wrote:
[...]
> But it's no magic bullet. Streaming live media also requires low
> jitter, especially if you are selling it as TV because viewers will
> join and leave channels often, as they change channels on their
> remote controls. This means you can't have big local buffers to hide
> jitter, therefore you have to build a network with enough capacity
> so that packets are all cut-through switched.

I observe about 3-4 seconds of latency on the UK DVB-T and DAB
broadcasts anyway compared to analogue. Cost-cutting on CPU grunt in
decoder boxes can mean it takes up to ten seconds to change channel.

In contrast, streaming video and audio from iTMS starts to play a lot
quicker. It sounds like the problems with jitter and latency over
private IP networks is overstated if it still works fine over the
Internet.

(FWIW, this is on 1Mb/s ADSL that is 170ms from www.apple.com.)

--
My mother protected me from the world and my father threatened me with it.
								- Quentin Crisp