is this like a peering war somehow?

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Fri Jan 20 12:54:34 UTC 2006

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006, Alexander Harrowell wrote:

> Whatever. No-one's actually trying to do "some packets are more equal
> than others" here in Europe, except for the mobile people with IMS and
> such. BT just transferred its access network into a new division with a
> specific remit to provide open access to all ISPs and alt- tels who want
> it.

My guess would be that basically everybody doing triple play will
prioritize the IPTV and VoIP packets in their network including the
access. Considering that streaming UDP IPTV requires very very low packet
loss, much better than Best Effort, this is needed to provide a good
quality service.

If you do LLQ you want to make sure you can control what goes into that
class, that can be done several ways, including disallowing anything
you don't know about (transit/ix) to go there.

This is preferential treatment for some packets and it makes perfect
technological sense.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se