The Backhoe: A Real Cyberthreat?

Daniel Golding dgolding at burtongroup.com
Fri Jan 20 05:59:05 UTC 2006

Sean,

This is a question of hierarchy of risk and scarce resource allocation.
Fiber infrastructure is relatively well protected (by the ground), hard to
damage (requires big machines), and has service restoration capabilities
(routing protocols, optical ring protection, et al). A large scale
(regional) telecom network outage is a big deal and can be economically
devastating. However, its tough to pull off, and, more importantly, it takes
time to do the damage.

Walking into a Boston/NY/Chicago subway station with a vest packed with c4
at rush hour, is another ball of wax. Its easier to pull of 10 simultaneous
suicide attacks against public transit than it is to induce a major regional
telecom outage through fiber cuts, IMHO.

If I was a terrorist, I'd rather try to take out points of fiber
concentration, and my tool would not be a backhoe. I won't elaborate, but I
think most folks can figure out a few modalities of attack.

Too many people know where those points of concentration are and how to
crack them open. I don't think restricting government information is going
to help much. Scarce DHS resources should be applied elsewhere.

- Dan