IP Addresses from a different region

Tony Li tony.li at tony.li
Thu Jan 19 20:50:24 UTC 2006

> Also, from a research standpoint I'm curious as to why this
> organization thinks they need ARIN IP space to do what they do.
> Most of us know that's probably not true.  I keep pretty close tabs
> on ongoing research in network location based services, dns
> mapping, online advertising, etc.  I just smell BS or something
> really new and unique and am curious in either case.

One possibility: Traditional media deals are frequently done based on
geographic regions.
The momentum of these deals is being carried over into cyberspace
where people are
attempting to enforce such deals based on prefix analysis.  The
request here sounds like
is an attempt to avoid creating yet another exemption in prefix
analysis.  Whether this is
for deceptive purposes or not is left to the reader.

 From a systems perspective, to me it seems somewhat unproductive to
shift a policy
exemption on address filtering to an address allocation exemption.
Either way, you have
one-off complexity.

Regards,
Tony