The Backhoe: A Real Cyberthreat?

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 19 20:48:51 UTC 2006

Jerry Pasker wrote:

> The point is:  What's more damaging?  Being open with the maps to
> EVERYONE can see where the problem areas are so they can design around
> them? (or chose not to) or pulling the maps, and reports, and sticking
> our heads in the sand, and hoping that security through obscurity works.

Let's look at this from another point of view:  Should we remove all
keylocks from backhoes so that everyone can have access to them?  :-)

I'm all for openness, but sometimes some things only need to be accessed
and used by the professionals that need those things.  I fully trust
that the big network operators, the ones that really really do need this
data, have all the info they need to plan their network expansions, etc.
I don't need to see this data, even though I might want to.

-Jim P.