PI space and colocation

Pete Templin petelists at templin.org
Thu Jan 19 20:02:01 UTC 2006

Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:

>> Is it a reasonable alternative to establish a BGP connection with the
>> provider over ethernet?
>
> It is technical feasible, but I don't think 'reasonable'.  Stub ASes
> are pollution on the 'Net.

OK, let's try a similar but different scenario.  Customer has ISP A,
adds ISP B ("you").  Customer intends to disconnect from ISP A.
Assuming the customer told you, do you require the customer to start
their connection with you as a private AS, do you require the customer
to re-AS-number later, or do you assume the customer will re-multihome,
etc.?

And what if the customer doesn't tell you that they're intending to
leave ISP A?  Do you police this, and if so how regularly?

(And yes, Patrick, IKYNAI.  We'll pretend for the moment.)

pt