The Backhoe: A Real Cyberthreat?

Randy Whitney randy.whitney at mci.com
Thu Jan 19 19:05:27 UTC 2006

"Inflict[ing] terror by killing people" is not the only tactic
terrorists use. Attacks can be anything from a SPAM flood to a
DDoS attack to taking down dozens of servers or routers utilizing
known vulnerabilities. Targets can be bridges, buildings, etc. and
don't necessarily result in loss of life. Disrupting communications
channels is a common tactic used to attack the "enemy", so keeping
a close eye on and protecting key communications infrastructure is
a valid goal.

Further, It doesn't take "dozens" of backhoes nor dozens of sites
to cause a significant disruption. Imagine if 60 Hudson and 111 8th
were to go down at the same time? Finding means to mitigate this
threat is not frivolously spending the taxpayer's money, IMO;
although perhaps removing fiber maps is not the best way to
address this.
--
rsw.