PI space and colocation

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Thu Jan 19 01:27:27 UTC 2006

On Jan 18, 2006, at 6:22 PM, Tony Li wrote:

> IMHO, wasting any resource is unfortunate, but the cost of
> additional forwarding table entries
> far outstrips the cost of additional DRAM.  Thus, adding an
> additional prefix does merit
> a significant shout from others, but the stub AS should only be an
> incremental whimper.

It's not just the amount of resources spent, it's what you get for them.

Spending a little on nothing is worse than spending more on something
useful.

Personally, I think a prefix which gives routability info is useful.
A Stub AS is just a waste.

--
TTFN,
patrick

P.S. This also means a /24 with the same AS path as the enclosing /16
is also a waste - an even bigger one.