GoDaddy.com shuts down entire data center?

Bill Nash billn at bacchus.billn.net
Tue Jan 17 20:34:28 UTC 2006

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006, Matt Ghali wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Jan 2006, Robert E.Seastrom wrote:
>
>>  The first and second paragraphs are sane.  The last paragraph gives Go
>>  Daddy the right to capriciously and arbitrarily delete your domain for
>>  any reason they wish ("Morally objectionable activities will include,
>>  but not be limited to...")
>
> Do you believe that your philosophical objections to the language absolves
> you as a customer from the minimal due dilligence of knowing what you are
> agreeing to?

Find me a registrar that DOESN'T have that kind of language in their user
agreements, then tell me if anyone wishing to do any kind of e-commerce
has a choice.

I've gone off on a tear about this before: A registrar has a license to
print money. Boilerplate user agreements that leave the user zero recourse
are the standard. I haven't seen a registrar yet that doesn't have this
kind of verbiage completely freeing them from liability for *any* action
taken on a domain registration, including none.

- billn