GoDaddy.com shuts down entire data center?

Robert E.Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Tue Jan 17 12:27:20 UTC 2006

Matt Ghali <matt at snark.net> writes:

> Hear Hear.
> After reading the GoDaddy domain registration legal agreement,
> available at:
> https://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/legal_agreements/show_doc.asp?se=%2B&ci=1839&pageid=REG%5FSA
> especially section 7, "Restriction of Services, Right of Refusal", I
> have to give them a big thumbs up.
>
> It is good to see that wielding a Big Stick, and actively working for
> the Good Guys has not hindered GoDaddy from achieving quite a bit of
> success in the market.

The first and second paragraphs are sane.  The last paragraph gives Go
Daddy the right to capriciously and arbitrarily delete your domain for
any reason they wish ("Morally objectionable activities will include,
but not be limited to...")

   Put an ethnic joke on your blog?  Lose your registration.

   Put up an "I'm a dissatisfied Go Daddy customer" page?  Lose your registration.

   Run a non-2257-compliant adult site (that doesn't show minors, just
   doesn't have the paperwork) outside of the US?  Lose your registration.

   Mirror tubgirl and goatse-man?  Lose your registration.

   Host a site that Go Daddy can plausibly consider "morally
   objectionable" (gambling?  whiskey reviews?)...  Lose your registration.

Now that Go Daddy has ensured that I'll never do business with them
(which is a shame; I liked certain lawsuits that they brought in the
past, but if being their customer means subscribing to their thought
police, count me out), I think it's time to carefully go over the
registration agreements with the registrars I use...  never know when
someone will slip in something truly odious, and the argument that
none of them would be so crazy as to try it appears to be incorrect.

                                        ---Rob