GoDaddy.com shuts down entire data center?

Chris Brenton cbrenton at chrisbrenton.org
Tue Jan 17 11:11:03 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-01-17 at 03:19 -0500, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:

> The question at hand is, at what point does a registrar providing services
> have an ethical or moral obligation to step in and do something when they
> do encounter an excessive level of abuse by someone using their services?

I think the issue here is not so much what happened, but how it
happened. The phishing problem was originally reported to godaddy and
then passed on to nectar on 1/9 (a Monday). It also appears the nectar
folks resolved the problem on the same day. After that point godaddy
continued to receive complains about the same problem and rather than
checking to see if the problem still existed, they just assumed it did.
Nectar appears to have even responded to godaddy stating that the
problem had already been resolved long before service was cut.

IMHO the big issue is that service was cut on a Friday night just as the
only folks empowered to resolve the situation have left for the weekend.
I can see cutting service during a weekday morning to get the client's
attention on the matter. Doing it at a time when you know you'll be
causing a long term outage is just plain nasty.

HTH,
Chris