Odd policy question.

Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com
Mon Jan 16 10:42:47 UTC 2006

>  we have appealed to multiple registrars such as
> godaddy, enom, and the like to remove these bogus NS records from our IP
> space which keep our new customers from using these IP addresses for
> hosting but they claim that we have no grounds even though we are the
> legitimate 'keepers' of said IP space.

This is a relatively straightforward issue. The registrars
operate according to ICANN policies. Your legitimacy as a keeper
of the IP address space descends from ICANN through IANA.

Either the registrar is in violation of ICANN policy by not
cleaning these NS records, or, the registrar is acting in
accordance with ICANN policy. You need to find out which
is true and then pester ICANN to either police the registars
or fix their broken policy.

I suspect that this is something that is not explicit
in the ICANN registrar agreements but is implied by some
general clause about the wellbeing of the Internet. In that
case ICANN would have to issue an interpretation of the
situation, pointing out to registrars that cleaning stale
NS records is, in fact, part of their ICANN agreement.

http://www.icann.org is the place to go.

--Michael Dillon