Problems connectivity GE on Foundry BigIron to Cisco 2950T

Elijah Savage esavage at digitalrage.org
Mon Jan 16 00:11:44 UTC 2006

Sam Stickland wrote:

> Replying to my own email..
>
> I've found some sites that suggest it's not possible to disable
> auto-negotiation on 1000Base-T since other operational parameters are
> negotiated including selection of the master clock signal. I was aware
> that flow control was negotiated, but not the clock signal.
>
> Can anyone elaborate?
>
> Sam
>

> On Sun, 15 Jan 2006, Sam Stickland wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> On Sun, 15 Jan 2006, Paul G wrote:
>>
>>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Farrell,Bob" <bobf at studentsonly.com>

Cisco Infrastructure Port Recommendation

Configuring auto-negotiation is much more critical in a GE environment
than in a 10/100 environment. In fact, auto-negotiation should only be
disabled on switch ports that attach to devices not capable of
supporting negotiation, or where connectivity issues arise from
interoperability issues. Cisco recommends that Gigabit negotiation be
enabled (default) on all switch-to-switch links and generally all GE
devices. The default value on Gigabit interfaces it auto-negotiation,
but is still a good general practice to issue the following command to
insure that auto-negotiation is enabled:

switch(config)#interface <type> <slot/port>
switch(config-If)#no speed

!--- Sets the port to auto-negotiate Gigabit parameters.

I have not looked at the RFC in a while but I thought when it first came
out that auto negotiation had to be used on GigE.

--
http://www.digitalrage.org/
The Information Technology News Center