Problems connectivity GE on Foundry BigIron to Cisco 2950T

Sam Stickland sam_ml at spacething.org
Sun Jan 15 23:50:07 UTC 2006

Hi,

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006, Paul G wrote:

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Farrell,Bob" <bobf at studentsonly.com>

On the foundry GBIC blades you can't configure the speed and duplex
settings, they only support 1000-full.

(config-if-e1000-1/2)#speed-duplex 1000-full
Error - can't change speed and duplex mode

I've dug through as much information as I can about the cisco 2950T and
802.3z/802.3ab and disabling the auto-negiation. There appears to be no
command at all available to do this.

The cabling arrangement is:

Foundry -- Straight -- Patch -- Underfloor -- Patch -- Crossover -- Cisco
  GBIC       Cable      Panel     Straight     Panel      Cable

If I replace the final crossover cable with a straight, change the foundry
to a 10/100 port, and plug the final end into a host NIC instead of the
cisco I get a connection. Crossover cable has been changed twice now, and
the RJ45 GBIC was previously working in a cisco 6500.

I am extensively familar (at least I believe I am) with both these models,
and this one has me stumped.

If nobody else can see any configuration errors I guess I'm down to
hardware issues.

Sam