Problems connectivity GE on Foundry BigIron to Cisco 2950T

Mark Smith random at 72616e646f6d20323030342d30342d31360a.nosense.org
Sun Jan 15 22:44:25 UTC 2006

Hi Randy,

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 11:10:04 -1000
Randy Bush <randy at psg.com> wrote:

> > You are using a crossover cable right?
> >> I'm having a right mare trying to get a Foundry BigIron to
> >> connect up to a cisco 2950T, via Gigabit copper.
>
> i was under the impression that gige spec handled crossover
> automagically

According to "Ethernet, The Definitive Guide", that feature is an
optional part of the spec.

One thing I've heard people encounter is that if they use a cross-over
cable, which probably really implies a 100BASE-TX cross-over, then the
ports only go to 100Mbps. A Gig-E rated straight through, in conjunction
with the automatic crossover feature, was necessary to get to GigE.

Regards,
Mark.

--

        "Sheep are slow and tasty, and therefore must remain constantly
         alert."