AW: Odd policy question.

Martin Hannigan hannigan at world.std.com
Sat Jan 14 07:38:12 UTC 2006

> On Fri, 13 Jan 2006, Jeffrey I. Schiller wrote:
>

> > Let me attempt to bring this back to the policy question.
> >
> > Does someone have the *right* to put one of your IP addresses as an NS
> > record for their domain even if you do not agree?
>
> Probably this is a multifaceted question :( So.. If I understand Drew's
> original question he had a customer (valid paying customer) that signed up
> for a new domain with $REGISTRAR12 called: "fooble.com". He put in his 2
> ip addresses for the 2 servers sitting in Drew's cabinet as NS's (why
> wouldn't he they were his to use then since he was paying for the service
> there in Drew's world), he purchased the 10yr plan for the domain.
>
> Later his company folded or he moved to another place with another name
> effectively abandoning the names in place for some unrelated reason(s).
> Drew is now allocating the 2 ips to a new customer who has setup NS's on
> the same ips and is now getting 'lame delegation' action from some yokel
> that walked away from his domain(s) :(
>
> So, at the time of the domain registration the registerer had authority to
> use Drew's ips, now he/she doesn't :( and isn't inn the mood to clean up
> the 'mess' :(

Let's back up to the absolute defintion of the Internet that is still
valid to this day:

Multiple private networks exchanging traffic.

If I get a packet from someone and it crossed my border, IMHO, I
own that packet. I either deliver it or drop it. In this case, the
case where someone responds with a "The number you have reached.."
is a decision to deliver it. There isn't a requirement as to where
to deliver it, and if you agree with my interpretation of packet
ownership (I think lawyers do..), you'd say that this scenario is
reasonable. Note, IANAL, but we've been around enough to make a
rough non-legal opinion on this.

I think you may have some experience here that I don't since you
are at an SP and I'm not so I'd like to hear your thought.

-M<