AW: Odd policy question.

Jeffrey I. Schiller jis at MIT.EDU
Sat Jan 14 00:01:35 UTC 2006

Let me attempt to bring this back to the policy question.

Does someone have the *right* to put one of your IP addresses as an NS
record for their domain even if you do not agree?

Registrar policies imply that this is so, and has been this way for a
long time.

A number of years ago (like 8-10 or so) I had a student host a domain on
my campus that I rather they not host. When I requested the registrar
(or registrar equivalent at the time) to remove the domain, or at least
the NS record pointing at my IP address, they refused. Their position
was that if I didn't like the domain, I should block access to the IP
address. I solved the problem another way...

Presumably this would work today, but it takes the effected IP address
out of action and Drew's goal, presumably, is to get the IP address back
in use without cruft heading its way.

Is this a good policy? I can argue it either way myself...

			-Jeff
Jeffrey I. Schiller
MIT Network Manager
Information Services and Technology