Odd policy question.

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Fri Jan 13 18:04:15 UTC 2006

> 	Maybe not such an odd question; Anywhoo, we have quite a few
> people who register our IP addresses as nameservers, and then never
> delete the records. I don't suppose there is any way that we can delete
> these old records, we have appealed to multiple registrars such as
> godaddy, enom, and the like to remove these bogus NS records from our IP
> space which keep our new customers from using these IP addresses for
> hosting but they claim that we have no grounds even though we are the
> legitimate 'keepers' of said IP space. This is mainly a problem for
> customers who use software such as cPanel which likes to always make NS
> records automatically, and customers almost never remove these at their
> registrar.

in named.conf

zone "2.96.192.in-addr.arpa"    { type master; file "primary/bogus.ia"; };

in the zone file

*                       PTR     some.schmuck.lame.delegated.to.RAIN.PSG.COM.

or

zone "someschmuck.com"          { type master; file "primary/bogus.fwd"; };

and

@                       MX    0 some.schmuck.lame.delegated.to.RAIN.PSG.COM.
*                       MX    0 some.schmuck.lame.delegated.to.RAIN.PSG.COM.