Cisco, haven't we learned anything? (technician reset)

william(at)elan.net william at elan.net
Fri Jan 13 01:08:36 UTC 2006

> Actually, and fairly recently, this IS a default password in IOS.  New
> out-of-box 28xx series routers have cisco/cisco installed as the default
> password with privilege 15 (full access).  This is a recent development.

This is hardly only cisco's problem. Most office routers I've dealt with
also come with default username/password and on occasions when I dealt
with  existing installation those passwords have rarely been changed.

What should really be done (BCP for manufactures ???) is have default
password based on unit's serial number. Since most routers provide this
information (i.e. its preset on the chip's eprom) I don't understand
why its so hard to just create simple function as part of software to
use this data if the password is not otherwise set.

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks
william at elan.net