workhorse of the future...

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
Wed Jan 11 23:17:56 UTC 2006

On Thu, Jan 12, 2006 at 09:56:33AM +1100, Lincoln Dale wrote:
> Bill,
>
> alas, i think the days of being able to deploy one type of "god box"
> swiss-army-knife router are passing.

	that is too true...  some misty-eyed moments for the demise
	of chaosnet support ...

> depending on what it is that the router is planned to be "doing" defines
> its PPS requirements & what speeds/feeds you need to run various
> features at.
>
> from http://www.merit.edu/mail.archives/nanog/2005-09/msg00635.html can
> you classify what functionality you see yourself as needing?

	nice list, but incomplete.  while the pace of innovation
	has slowed, O&M "features" have grown, and a raw desire to
	keep up the ROI by pandering to the idol of convergence have
	not kept me aware of the fact that NEW, UNEXPECTED events
	will place demands on my boxen for the forseeable future - and
	a s/w driven box has more resilience in that vector.

> that pretty much sets the discussion as to whether you're after
> something that can be s/w-forwarding or not ...

	i guess i was hoping for some kind soul to provide some insight
	as to other factors that may be "sea-change" events to the routing
	system in the next 48-60month horizon.  IPv6 table size, on-board
	key/sig mgmt/computation are TWO...  are there others?

--bill