do bogon filters still help?

John Kristoff jtk at northwestern.edu
Wed Jan 11 18:38:56 UTC 2006

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 13:03:51 -0500
"Steven M. Bellovin" <smb at cs.columbia.edu> wrote:

> Every time IANA allocates new prefixes, we're treated to complaints
> about  sites that are not reachable because they're in the new space
> and some  places haven't updated their bogon filters.  My question is
> this:  have we  reached a point where the bogon filters are causing
> more pain than they're  worth?

Perhaps operators can be convinced that the only best practice
implementation of bogon filtering is through the  use of a well
maintained bogon route server service, be it from Team Cymru or
some other well regarded 3rd party.  All static, manual config
management of bogon routes should be strongly discouraged.

Now if router vendors could figure out ways to use a bogon route
server for multicast protocols, that would be of a great help to
niche community that has to run that service.  There the pain is
arguably worth it (dig about multicast being painful with or
without them here :-)

John