Fwd: [OCCAID] 6bone addresses going away in June

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Sat Jan 7 01:07:17 UTC 2006

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
> On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 10:12:37 CST, eric said:
>
>> We will begin filtering 3ffe::/16 traffic by the earlier of:
>> (i) June 6 2006; (ii) when transiting traffic sourced from or
>> destined to 3ffe address space drops below 5% of our aggregate
>> network traffic.
>
> Is that 5% of your IPv6 traffic, or 5% of *all* your IPv(4+6) traffic?

Not the above network, but another... I just checked the log of
ipv6gate.sixxs.net (or more precise *.sixxs.org), resulting over the
last day the following 6bone prefixes seem to be active (simple cut
-f1,2 -d: on the address thus first 32bits) these are the only 6bone
prefixes using that service:

      4 3ffe:2500
     92 3ffe:80ee
    110 3ffe:831f
    136 3ffe:4019
    241 3ffe:80d0
 118455 3ffe:321f
 507624 3ffe:3201

3ffe::3200::/24 == CERNET

The rest of 6bone is pretty dormant compared to that one.
(Though they might also not be using the service of course)

Then again, check the top 5 6to4 sources (also per /32):
   9169 2002:d347
  12281 2002:a66f
  32554 2002:ca75
  65035 2002:de1d
2295865 2002:a269

Take a guess what the last line is from ;)

In this sample the number for 2001:<something> (RIR space, I didn't
catch anything from non-2001 prefixes) is:
2371150 2001

Other wise put:
------------------------
6to4	2414904   44.61%
RIR	2371150   43.80%
6bone	 626662   11.57%
------------------------
total	5412716

Still an amazing 11.57% of the hits of this traffic sample.
And all coming from the same place too...

Btw, note that 6to4 is only used by 1 very large user site which also
has RIR space and 6bone space. Clearly for them 6to4 is very easy to
use. Btw2 I am not looking at transfered bytes here, but I assume them
to be mostly consistent with the hit count.

Most 6bone prefixes that are still announced are dormant on the net,
they are there but not used at all.

Greets,
 Jeroen