[OCCAID] 6bone addresses going away in June

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Fri Jan 6 17:56:21 UTC 2006

Ho Joe, all,

The last I heard was that the draft was pending of the final step with the
IESG review or something similar, but I'm not completely sure. Then IANA
will assign a production prefix.

I'm aware of at least 8 Teredo Relays (some of them only available within
specific ASs). We run one of them, and yes, have some traffic there, so
there are real users. I know at least about 2 *big* carriers which recently
also have setup Teredo Servers+Relays, and some more being setup. Some of
them are listed at:

http://www.ipv6tf.org/using/connectivity/teredo.php

Teredo is being used automatically by several applications. Some of you may
haven't noticed about it, but if you are XP SP2 user its there and working
some time, even if you don't enable IPv6 (Teredo gets enable by some peer to
peer apps).

Regards,
Jordi

> De: Joe Abley <jabley at isc.org>
> Responder a: <owner-nanog at merit.edu>
> Fecha: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 12:41:33 -0500
> Para: "Christopher L.Morrow" <christopher.morrow at mci.com>
> CC: eric <eric-list-nanog at catastrophe.net>, <nanog at nanog.org>
> Asunto: Re: [OCCAID] 6bone addresses going away in June
>

> On 6-Jan-2006, at 11:23, Christopher L. Morrow wrote:
>
>> guess terado services will get a facelift then too? (since they
>> require/use the 3ffe range for comms)
>
> The most recent draft for teredo only requires use of 3FFE::/16
> obliquely:
>
> 2.6 Global Teredo IPv6 service prefix
>
>     An IPv6 addressing prefix whose value is XXXX:XXXX:/32.
>     (TBD IANA; experiments use the value 3FFE:831F::/32, taken from a
>     range of experimental IPv6 prefixes assigned to Microsoft.)
>
> Draft-huitema-v6ops-teredo-05 expired last October, and I can't find
> it in the I-D tracker. It doesn't seem like it would be too much of a
> stretch to update that section if a revision was in the works.
>
> In real life, does anybody actually use terado? Are there a well-
> known set of teredo servers and relays for which some arbitrary,
> large ISP might measure traffic levels? It seems like if it was
> enabled it would be possible to measure traffic from teredo's
> bubbles, even if nobody was actually using it to retrieve content.
>

> Joe

The IPv6 Portal: http://www.ipv6tf.org

Barcelona 2005 Global IPv6 Summit
Slides available at: