Leap second reminder - Check your NTP

Michael Loftis mloftis at wgops.com
Sun Jan 1 07:29:31 UTC 2006

--On December 31, 2005 6:57:45 PM -0600 Kevin Day <toasty at dragondata.com>
wrote:

> While I can't say anything broke on our network as a result of the  leap
> second, a good percentage of our gear lost NTP sync or had some  kind of
> NTP problem around midnight UTC. You may want to check your  NTP status
> at some point, in case something drifted quite a way off  and won't step
> itself back now because the difference is too great.

We've Nagios monitoring a majority of our NTP devices.  Around the
appropriate time I got a pretty big flurry of ntp sync warnings, took about
half an hour for everything to get in sync.  Everything looks normal as of
right now (has been for a while).

I hadn't thought to turn off the alarms even though I was aware of the
leap.  That resulted in a lot of notifications going out to our on-call
people.