SUMMARY - 95th percentile calculation

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Mon Feb 27 21:23:52 UTC 2006

Jo Rhett <jrhett at svcolo.com> wrote:
[...]
> * One very large bit mover that I know uses 32 bit counters claimed to
> only be checking every 5 minutes. We're pushing enough to them to rotate
> that counter in that interval, so I actually disbelieve this answer but
> I'm reporting it as they said it.

A wrapped counter appears to be affecting our electricity metering and
billing. While the measurement of kWh is probably in the right ballpark for
somebody our size, they also reckon our peak consumption is about 1kW.

Since the bill usually has a pound sign followed by a telephone number, I've
toyed with the idea of disputing the bill on the basis we couldn't possibly
use that much power with just a 1kW load, but we'll pay the 40 quid for one
month of 1kW :)

--
I wrote this story myself, It's all about a girl who lost her reputation, but
never missed it.