DNS deluge for x.p.ctrc.cc

Christopher L. Morrow christopher.morrow at verizonbusiness.com
Sun Feb 26 21:04:15 UTC 2006

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006, Joe Abley wrote:
> As a temporary mitigation tool today, when the volume of legitimate,
> large-packet EDNS0 traffic is near-zero, blocking big 53/udp packets
> might *sound* reasonable. However, we all know how permanent

how are you certain that the udp/53 1500 byte packet is 'dns'? and not
kazaa/gnutella/bittorrent/vpn-in-udp-53 ? It seems that filtering the
TRAFFIC is short sighted on several fronts :( deciding if you will/won't
be part of the global-recursive-dns-server 'problem' is entirely different
though.

> temporary filters can be. Crippling EDNS0 transport in the future
> seems like a very high price to pay for what might be a very
> temporary, short-term reduction in attack traffic.

seems like global tcp/139|tcp/445 filters, or bogon filters... bits put
into configs 'now' and completely forgotten about 'tomorrow' :(