Transit LAN vs. Individual LANs

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sat Feb 25 19:33:59 UTC 2006

--On February 25, 2006 11:04:12 AM -0500 "Patrick W. Gilmore"
<patrick at ianai.net> wrote:

> On Feb 24, 2006, at 9:03 PM, Scott Weeks wrote:
>
>> I have 2 core routers (CR) and 3 access routers (AR)
>> currently connected point-to-point where each AR connects to
>> each CR for a total of 6 ckts.  Now someone has decided to
>> connect them with Gig-E.  I was wondering about the benefits
>> or disadvantages of keeping the ckts each in their own
>> individual LANs or tying them all into one VLAN for a
>> "Transit LAN" as those folks that decided on going to Gig-E
>> aren't doing any logical network architecting (is that a
>> real word?).

In my experience either solution has tradeoffs and the correct
one depends greatly on your traffic patterns.  Having said that,
what I find causes most of the problems in either solution is
when the Layer 3 topology starts to diverge from the Layer 2
topology.

Owen