DNS deluge for x.p.ctrc.cc

Joe Provo nanog-post at rsuc.gweep.net
Sat Feb 25 16:24:46 UTC 2006

On Sat, Feb 25, 2006 at 08:41:01AM +0000, bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com wrote:
> robt wrote:
[snip]
> > Limit recursion to trusted netblocks and customers.  Do not permit
> > your name servers to provide recursion for the world.  If you do,
> > you will contribute to one of these attacks.
>
> 	<recursion is a fundamental DNS design feature,
> 	 restricting it to "walled gardens" cripples its usefullness>

The bad guys abused open SMTP relaying and we couldn't use it anymore.*
They've moved to the next thing that is widely open and will be abusable
for a long time while some folks clamp down quickly, others argue against
it, etc.  Until we can factor out the bad guys, the diminishing returns
on playing whack-a-mole will force us all to install more functional
equivalent of signs saying "restrooms are for customers only". And no
I don't like it either.

Cheers,

Joe

* well, except those who wish to be marginalized.

--
             RSUC / GweepNet / Spunk / FnB / Usenix / SAGE