Transit LAN vs. Individual LANs

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Sat Feb 25 16:04:12 UTC 2006

On Feb 24, 2006, at 9:03 PM, Scott Weeks wrote:

> I have 2 core routers (CR) and 3 access routers (AR)
> currently connected point-to-point where each AR connects to
> each CR for a total of 6 ckts.  Now someone has decided to
> connect them with Gig-E.  I was wondering about the benefits
> or disadvantages of keeping the ckts each in their own
> individual LANs or tying them all into one VLAN for a
> "Transit LAN" as those folks that decided on going to Gig-E
> aren't doing any logical network architecting (is that a
> real word?).

Personally, I like the to KISS, so one big 'transit LAN'.

An argument could be made for individual VLANs to keep things like b-
cast storms isolated.  But I think the additional complexity will
cause more problems than it will solve.

Or maybe I'm just too dumb to keep up with the additional complexity. :)

--
TTFN,
patrick