DNS deluge for x.p.ctrc.cc

Estes, Paul pestes at Covad.COM
Fri Feb 24 17:25:38 UTC 2006

We have recently noticed a deluge of DNS requests for "ANY ANY" records
of x.p.ctrc.cc. The requests are coming from thousands of sources,
mostly our own customers. There are currently no records for
x.p.ctrc.cc, or even for p.ctrc.cc. A google search for x.p.ctrc.cc
comes up with only 2 hits. One is a DNS log showing references to this
name. The other one shows that somebody else is seeing the same behavior
as we are:

http://weblog.barnet.com.au/edwin/cat_networking.html

However, this site has the benefit or providing a history that p.ctrc.cc
had (a week ago) delegated NS record pointing to 321blowjob.com. At that
time, 321blowjob.com's nameserver was responding with a TXT record for
x.p.ctrc.cc.

It would appear that ctrc.cc was the victim of some DNS hijacking.
Whatever malware is attempting to lookup this name, however, is doing so
at a horrific rate. I have some addresses that have made >250000
requests for this name in a short period of time.

I was thinking that I could simply put an authoritative zone for
p.ctrc.cc in our nameservers and return something for the lookups,
however based on the writeup on the above mentions blog, I am now not
certain this will have any effect. As you'll note, that individual had
only 2 machines hitting his name server, and even though a response was
provided to the lookup, the hosts continued to hammer his access link.

When the lookup flood occurs, every host starts at the same time, as can
be seen on the graphs of traffic to and load of our nameservers. It's
all or nothing - the flood is either on or off. There's no background
trickle.

Is anybody else seeing these events?

--Paul