and here are some answers [was: Quarantine your infected users spreading malware]

Gadi Evron ge at linuxbox.org
Tue Feb 21 00:27:05 UTC 2006

Edward W. Ray wrote:
> IMHO, a user should have to demonstrate a minimum amount of expertise and
> have a up-to-date AV, anti-spyware and firewall solution for their PCs.

That is why we have hundreds of millions of bots in the wild.

The mostly-user ISP's will have to eventually do something or end up
being either regulated, spending more and more and more on tech support
and/OR abuse personnel, or written down as blackhat AS's.

Some PRODUCTS, PRO and AGAINST links from people on quarantining of
infected users, thanks to all those who shared so far!

Products so far (haven't tried or verified them myself):
http://www.rommon.com/sandbox.html
http://www.forescout.com/index.php?url=products&section=counteract

Other:
Eric Gauthier's Ethernet-oriented quarantine system (from NANOG in
2003): http://www.nanog.org/mtg-0402/gauthier.html

Other choice papers from Jose's blog:
http://www.iab.org/documents/docs/2003-10-18-edge-filters.html
http://www.csl.sri.com/users/linda/bibs/publications/mmsm2005.pdf