ignore the word "radical"

Edward B. DREGER eddy+public+spam at noc.everquick.net
Thu Feb 16 22:35:39 UTC 2006

JAK> Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 13:02:14 -0800 (PST)
JAK> From: John A. Kilpatrick

JAK> As long as you can find a customer who wants to be dual-homed and doesn't
JAK> care about PI then great.  But most folks who bother to be dual-homed

My primary focus has been on the SOHO users who rarely have more than a
/29, and frequently have a dynamically-assigned /32.  Clearly, anyone
who doesn't mind their IP changing weekly is not concerned about PI
space.  Portable space requires more prefixes or some sort of source
routing.

JAK> want/need PI space and don't want to renumber when changing
JAK> providers.  I know that was a consideration when I dual-homed.

Are you saying that people who cannot obtain PI space would rather
remain single-homed?  That they'll forgo multihoming until they can
justify PI space?

That said...

There have been claims that it's time to upgrade to hardware that can
route /32s.  If that is so, all this attempt to aggregate is moot, and
it's time for people to drop prefix-length filters.  I'm skeptical.

I'm also curious:  Who's first to put their money where their mouth is,
prove that Moore's Law will save them, route /32s, and also remove their
prefix count limits?

Eddy
--
Everquick Internet - http://www.everquick.net/
A division of Brotsman & Dreger, Inc. - http://www.brotsman.com/
davidc at brics.com -*- jfconmaapaq at intc.net -*- sam at everquick.net
Ditto for broken OOO autoresponders and foolish AV software backscatter.