Disaster recovery using as-prepend?

Ejay Hire ejay.hire at isdn.net
Thu Feb 16 18:00:34 UTC 2006

Hello.

Answering the original question, as prepends are not a
definitive way  to force all traffic to one site or the
other.

Two ways that definitely will work are.

1.  Send a community to the upstream provider at the
backup site that causes them to set a lower plocalpref on
the route you send them vs. the route learned from the
internet.

2. If you have a large enough ip block, Advertise an
aggregate address from your backup site, and more
specifics from your primary.  I.e. advertise a /23 from
your backup site and the same /23 as two /24's from the
primary.

-ejay