a radical proposal (Re: protocols that don't meet the need...)

Edward B. DREGER eddy+public+spam at noc.everquick.net
Thu Feb 16 17:36:22 UTC 2006

JP> Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 12:05:35 -0500
JP> From: John Payne

JP> Are most of the multihomers REALLY a one router shop (implied by your
JP> renumbering is easy comment) - although shim6 could help there I guess.

Dual-homed leaves, particularly those who [would] use DSL and cable?
Yes.  And it wasn't just implied -- I explicitly said it. :-)

JP> You've also eliminated any possibility of the end multihomed site doing any
JP> ingress traffic engineering. I suppose they can do egress which is better
JP> than shim6 allows... but in today's world where I get a completely different
JP> price for transit than my neighbor - this plan is going to screw some the
JP> multihomed sites financially.

Ingress needs some mechanism; this is true.  Back to the Cox/SBC
1.0.0/18 example:

	1.0.0/20 = prefer SBC (prepend Cox 1x)
	1.0.16/20 = prefer Cox (prepend SBC 2x)
	1.0.32/19 = prefer Cox (prepend SBC 1x)

Still better than heavily-fragmented /29s that can't be aggregated
because next-door neighbors foul up 2^x boundaries.

Again, with dual-homed leaves, there just aren't that many separate
routing policies possible.  If multiple networks have the _same_ routing
policy, why not coalesce?  (BGP attributes certainly aren't replicated
senslessly.  Why not?  Hardware is cheap, after all.)

Want to override that?  Great.  Use shim6.  Maybe it'll fare better than
loose source routing and DPA, two things to which shim6 smells similar.

Eddy
--
Everquick Internet - http://www.everquick.net/
A division of Brotsman & Dreger, Inc. - http://www.brotsman.com/
davidc at brics.com -*- jfconmaapaq at intc.net -*- sam at everquick.net
Ditto for broken OOO autoresponders and foolish AV software backscatter.