Disaster recovery using as-prepend?

Andy Davidson andy at nosignal.org
Thu Feb 16 15:04:32 UTC 2006

On 16 Feb 2006, at 14:56, Christopher J. Pilkington wrote:

> We have a PI /24 we'd like to advertise out of our primary data center
> for production use.  (Well, actually, we'll be advertising a more
> specific from our /21 assignment, so already not too friendly... but I
> digress.)
[...]
> I'm thinking advertising the same prefix and just doing several
> as-prepends.  However, now I'm not sure if this is a polite thing to
> do or not.

How about advertising all of your PI from all of your perimeter
routers, and configuring internal routing to ensure packets get to
the rightful live/preferred data centre.  Then, in the event of a
failover situation, you can change the routing behaviour so that
packets for the production /24 end up in the alternative dc.

To work, this does imply you have good connectivity between your live
and failover environments (but i guess you have this so that you can
copy over state/live data between your two environments anyway..), so
that you can carry customer/live data over the link too.

Double plus good for you if you can get cheap transit delivered to
your failover dc - you could use this for your preferred environment
too !

cheers
-a