protocols that don't meet the need...

Andre Oppermann nanog-list at nrg4u.com
Thu Feb 16 10:50:59 UTC 2006

Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Feb 2006, Alexei Roudnev wrote:
>
>> allocation. And what is a problem with 8M networks in next 8 years (if we
>> easily handle 200K just now)?
>
> Each unit I buy that has to handle 1M routes instead of 256k routes
> today costs $10-30k or more extra because of this requirement. Yes, it's
> no technical problem, but it's money out that could be spent on other
> things.

I don't know for how long you're in the game but if it is more than five
years then please plot the cost and capabilities of the routers you bought
in that time against the growth of the routing table.  I have an authentic
4 digit AS number (easily found using the ASNumber Firefox plugin) and when
I look at the plot for the past 9 years I don't see any problem for the future.
You either get constantly more capabilities for the same amount on money or
you pay less money for the same amount of capabilities.

The ISP business is like any other business where you have to keep investing
to stay ahead.  The other way (used primarily by the RIAA) is trying to fix
the legislation around your existing investments and business model.  If we
all were to stop investing and stay at what we have got now the global economy
would implode.

--
Andre