a radical proposal (Re: protocols that don't meet the need...)

Edward B. DREGER eddy+public+spam at noc.everquick.net
Thu Feb 16 00:33:39 UTC 2006

MK> Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 15:35:27 -0800
MK> From: Matthew Kaufman

MK> So this is a good proposal if I*(I-1)/2 < C where
MK> C = number of ASNs issued to dual-homed customers
MK> I = number of ASNs issued to "Transit Providers" said customers might select
MK> from
MK>
MK> (Note that it is bigger than that on the left if anyone, god forbid, has
MK> *more* than two ISPs)

Note that I specifically said "dual-homed leaves".

MK> My guess is that even with all the consolidation in the industry, the left
MK> side grows too quickly for this to be a good idea. (It'd probably be a great
MK> way to finish using up the rest of V4 space, though)

Wrong, wrong, wrong.  The left side of your equation assumes that EVERY
transit provider will cooperate with EVERY other transit provider.  Do
all ~30k transit providers service your region?  Didn't think so.  How
about even 1% of them?  I doubt it.

Let's compare _actual needed_ coop ASNs with _actual needed_ status quo
ASNs.  Separate theoretical upper bound from what's gonna happen in the
real world.

Now let's look at the bigger issue of route consolidation.  Follow along
carefully, folks.

Want to dual-home to SBC and Cox?  Great.  You get IP space from

	1.0.0/18

which is advertised via AS64511.  Lots of leaf dual-homers do the same,
yet there is ONE route in the global table for the lot of you.  SBC and
Cox interconnect and swap packets when someone's local loop goes *poof*.
Flaps within 1.0.0/18 never hit the outside world.

Everyone is happy.

Eddy
--
Everquick Internet - http://www.everquick.net/
A division of Brotsman & Dreger, Inc. - http://www.brotsman.com/
davidc at brics.com -*- jfconmaapaq at intc.net -*- sam at everquick.net
Ditto for broken OOO autoresponders and foolish AV software backscatter.