shim6 rides again (Re: protocols that don't meet the need...)

Edward B. DREGER eddy+public+spam at noc.everquick.net
Wed Feb 15 20:32:07 UTC 2006

PH> Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 21:14:03 +0100
PH> From: Per Heldal

PH> ...quite the opposite of what I ment to say. Most nanog'ers work in
PH> engineering. The problem is a lack of ops-people turning these
PH> xOG-groups ito xEG-groups instead.

Ah.  That makes much more sense. :-)

PH> PS! I prefer tight integration of operations and engineering. I'd say
PH> it's good for engineering-staff to do ops-work from time to time (eat
PH> their own dog food;). Organisations that practise job-rotation generally
PH> have the better solutions.

Indeed, or at least so I like to think.  Tight integration means fewer
kludges that simply translate to more work for someone else.

e.g., I'm currently working on a project that requires a new protocol.
I'm also the one who must write the code, test, and [initially] keep it
up and running once complete.  No shifting the burden "10% easier here,
30% tougher there" going on around here. ;-)

Perhaps what more organizations need is management who can properly
bridge the different camps.

Eddy
--
Everquick Internet - http://www.everquick.net/
A division of Brotsman & Dreger, Inc. - http://www.brotsman.com/
davidc at brics.com -*- jfconmaapaq at intc.net -*- sam at everquick.net
Ditto for broken OOO autoresponders and foolish AV software backscatter.