shim6 rides again (Re: protocols that don't meet the need...)

Per Heldal heldal at eml.cc
Wed Feb 15 20:14:03 UTC 2006

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 16:56:51 +0000 (GMT), "Edward B. DREGER"
<eddy+public+spam at noc.everquick.net> said:
[snip]
> Per, I'd like to take exception with your "exclude small companies"
> remark.  This thread is about tighter engineering and ops involvement,
> so why shoot down those who have the two tightly coupled?  Why eschew
> people who work both sides of the fence?

Sorry, the following sentence came out all wrong due to last minute
cutnpaste:
  Most nanog'ers, with the exception of those
  representing small companies which don't
  separate engineering from operations, belong
  in the engineering category anyway.

...quite the opposite of what I ment to say. Most nanog'ers work in
engineering. The problem is a lack of ops-people turning these
xOG-groups ito xEG-groups instead.

PS! I prefer tight integration of operations and engineering. I'd say
it's good for engineering-staff to do ops-work from time to time (eat
their own dog food;). Organisations that practise job-rotation generally
have the better solutions.

//per
--
  Per Heldal