protocols that don't meet the need...

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Wed Feb 15 15:31:56 UTC 2006

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006, Daniel Roesen wrote:

> There is no way to do traffic engineering with any shim6-like system
> like one can do with BGP as shim6 is a completely host-centric solution.
> It has no clue about upstream/downstream/peering, ASses etc. Those
> things that actually make topology and economics. That's aside all the
> other administrative nightmares associated.

The current routing model doesn't scale. I don't want to sit 5 years from
now needing a router that'll handle 8 million routes to get me through the
next 5 years of route growth.

PI space for multihoming and AS number growth is a bad thing for scaling
and economics, however you look at it.

Shim6 would hopefully curb the prefix growth very early in the growth
curve as single entities won't need AS to multihome between two different
ISPs.

I do believe in a completely new solution for multihoming than what we
have today, shim6 is the first I've seen so far, I'm open to other
suggestions though. Current way of doing it (AS+PI) gives me the creeps
when I extrapolate into the future.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se