NANOG36-NOTES 2006.02.14 talk 2 Netflow Visualization Tools

Roland Dobbins rdobbins at cisco.com
Wed Feb 15 06:39:13 UTC 2006

Roland Dobbins - that's me asking about the time intervals for the
bins and the TCP flags stuff.

;>

Note that 5-minute bins may not always be optimal for opsec - 5
minutes minimum to see something happening and then 5 minutes to see
if your mitigation action was effective is a long time.  With NetFlow-
based anomaly-detection systems, the active flow timeout value is
generally turned down to one minute; the operator may -choose- to
suppress certain types of alarms for a set period, or configure
threshold-transition delays, but being stuck at a practical minimum
of 10 minutes between detection and confirmation of mitigation due to
data-conversion overhead (the collected flow telemetry must be
converted into another format prior to analysis) may be an issue, in
some circumstances.

On Feb 14, 2006, at 8:13 PM, Vicky Røde wrote:

> thanks for taking notes.
>
> comments in-line:
>
> Matthew Petach wrote:
>> 2006.02.14 talk 2 Netflow tools
>>
>> Bill Yurcik
>> byurcik at ncsa.uiuc.edu
>>
>> NVisionIP and VisFlowConnect-IP
>>
>> probably a dozen tools out there, this is just
>> two of them.  Concenses is there's something to
>> this.
>>
>> They're an edge network, comes into ISP domain,
>> their tools are used by entities with many
>> subnet blocks.
>>
>> Overview
>> Project Motifivation
>> Netflows for Security
>> Two visualization tools
>>  NVisionIP
>>  VisFlowConnect-IP
>> Summary
>>
>> Internet Security:
>> N-Dimensional Work Space
>>
>> large--already lots of data to process
>> complex--combinatorics explode quickly
>> time dynamics--things can change quickly!
>> Visualizations can help!
>>  in near-realtime
>>  overview-browse-details on demand
>>
>> People are wired to do near-realtime processing
>> of visual information, so that's a good way to
>> present information for humans.
>> HCI says use overview-browse-details paradigm.
>>
>> Netflows for security
>> can identify connection-oriented stats to see
>> things like attacks, DoS, DDoS, etc.
>> Most people don't use the data portion of the
>> flow field, the first 64 bytes, they just look
>> at header info or aggregated flow records.
>>
>> Can spot how many users are on your system at
>> a given time, to schedule upgrades.
>>
>> Who are your top talkers?
>>
>> How long do my users surf?  What are people using
>> the network for?
>>
>> Where do users go?   Where did they come from?
>>
>> Are users following the security policy?
>>
>> What are the top N destination ports?
>> Is there traffic to vulnerable hosts?
>>
>> Can you identify and block scanners/bad guys?
>>
>> This doesn't replace other systems like syslog, etc.;
>> it integrates and works alongside them.
>>
>> architecture slide for NCSA.
>>
>> Can't really do sampled view for security, so probably
>> need distributed flow collector farm to get all the
>> raw data safely.
>>
>> Two visualization tools:
>> NVisionIP, VisFlowConnect-IP
>>
>> focus on quick overview of tools
>> security.ncsa.uiuc.edu/
>>
>> 3 level hierarchical tool;
>> galaxy view (small multiple view) ((machine view))
>>
>> Galaxy is overview of the whole network.
>> color and shape of dots is each host in a network.
>> settable parameters for each dot.
>>
>> Animated toolbar and clock show changes over time
>> in the galaxy.
>> Lets you get high-level content quickly and easily.
>>
>> Domain view lets you drill in a bit more; small
>> multiple view looks at the traffic within the
>> block.
>> upper histogram is lower, well known ports; lower
>> histogram is ports over 1024

> [...]

Roland Dobbins <rdobbins at cisco.com> // 408.527.6376 voice

      Everything has been said.  But nobody listens.

                    -- Roger Shattuck