Fed Bill Would Restrict Web Server Logs

Hyunseog Ryu r.hyunseog at ieee.org
Tue Feb 14 16:38:25 UTC 2006

I guess the question is how to read "legitimate" word. ^.^
I guess the bill was written in mind of privacy concern.
But also there is some requirement for security/law-enforcement viewpoint.
I received the request from some law-enforcement about actual user of IP
address 3 year ago or older.
Without all log info, how can I tell it?
It seems this bill will bring more ISP/ASP to the court to clarify what
is legitimate or not.
>From privacy viewpoint, I guess people wants to remove all their trace
from the Internet.
But from security and practical concerns from ISP/ASP, they want to have
all traces from the people.

I think the government needs to enforce ISP/ASP to keep all trace for
certain level, but with more stricted access method.

I'm really curious whether this was a kind of post-action to the
cell-phone use log business such as locatecell.com or something like that.

Hyun