NANOG36 wireless issue

Bill Fenner fenner at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 14:44:06 UTC 2006

On 2/14/06, Suresh Ramasubramanian <ops.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think you just re-invented http://www.plazes.com

Well, Plazes requires user behavior to begin with, and doesn't
distinguish between multiple access points with the same SSID and same
subnet.  Plazes could say "NANOG in Dallas" but not which side of the
hotel.  My system comes more from the network administrator's point of
view, talking to the APs directly instead of hearing from the clients,
plus can provide a more detailed version of "where am I?".

You're right that Plazes seems to be for people who want to brag about
how much they roam around.  I stopped using it when I found that the
MacOS menubarlet crashes constantly when using tunnel interfaces.
(Since fixed, I hear, but I don't think it's really my bag anyway.)

  Bill