Middle Eastern Exchange Points

h k hkilmer at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 18:56:22 UTC 2006

On 2/7/06, Bill Woodcock <woody at pch.net> wrote:

>       On Tue, 7 Feb 2006, Joe Abley wrote:
>     > I would not be surprised if the toplogical centre of today's African
>     > Internet turned out to be the LINX.
>
> Yep, with 111 8th close behind.

Most of the African ISPs connect into 118th and the LINX.

All the ISPs I've talked to in Egypt claim that the Cairo IX was a failed
> experiment and that they haven't heard anything about it in the last two
> years.  Which roughly corresponds with the last time I heard anyone
> talking about it in the present tense.  But I'll defer to Joe if he has
> other information.

The existing Cairo IX is/was not a success for many reasons.

Just FYI - There is a new IX starting up in Cairo (see http://www.gpx.ie).
GPX is trying to be available for the growth in the region.  I've been
involved in their technical specifications so I can attest to the high level
of redundancy, load capabilities and architecture.

-Hank